As the anchor of your exhaust system, your Nissan’s muffler reduces the noise created by exhaust gases emitted from the engine to make sure the vehicle drives quietly. Needing regular maintenance and inspection, our service team here at Sutherlin Nissan of Cape Coral is here to help.
Along with our certified service to repair or replace your Nissan’s muffler, we also inform you of the warning signs that may accompany a damaged muffler and how often you need to replace your muffler.
Warning Signs My Nissan Needs a New Muffler
Any unresolved issues with your Nissan’s muffler are more dangerous than you may imagine. While you may not be actively thinking about the warning signs leading to a failing car exhaust system or muffler, here are some issues to be aware of:
- Loud Noises — Your muffler’s main responsibility is to keep the noise down. Sudden roaring shows concern and we recommend you schedule an appointment as soon as possible.
- Holes or Rust — Holes and rust can appear due to exposure to heat. A visual inspection is needed.
- Car Temperature — If you let your Nissan idle for a few minutes after turning it on and you experience abnormally high engine temperatures, there may be a problem with your muffler.
- Leaking Water — Drips of condensation is normal, but water leaking from several places on the muffler is concerning.
- Bad smells — This is the most dangerous sign. Your muffler funnels exhaust fumes outside and away from your vehicle, and if something is going wrong, it can cause these fumes to remain inside your Nissan, probing long-term health issues.
How Often Do I Need to Replace My Nissan’s Muffler
Your Nissan’s muffler will last from five to seven years or 40,000-80,000 miles, but several factors can change that interval. Frequent exposure to salt on roads, speed bumps, and potholes can result in premature aging of your muffler.
Our service recommends having your muffler inspected by our technicians during regular routine maintenance visits, as well as taking proactive steps like having your vehicle’s undercarriage washed, and choosing a replacement muffler made of corrosion-resistant steel when the time comes helps prolong the lifespan.
Schedule Service in Cape Coral
If your Nissan’s muffler or exhaust system begins to show worrisome signs of depreciation, we welcome you to schedule an appointment at our service center in Cape Coral. Offering certified service, Nissan service specials, and genuine OEM Nissan parts, we are sure to bring you the most value to your beloved vehicle.
For any questions or more information on our routine Nissan maintenance services, please feel free to contact our team. Serving the Port Charlotte and Fort Myers areas, we are more than happy to assist you!